Naming troubles… again

A few posts ago I mentioned my struggles in naming my characters. But that’s not the only place I’ve struggled with names.

At the moment I’m having trouble naming my book. 

I’ve been through several names, and there have been issues with all of them from different people.

The name I’m using at the moment feels too childish for a YA novel: Fairies in the Wind. 

I was originally using Aer (like air), but it was suggested that it was too vague. Then I tried Aer Faydom which I used for a long time, but when I was at a course everyone agreed it was too difficult to pronounce. 

I’ve submitted under all three names and not had any luck yet (obviously). But this might not be because of the title, but as that’s the first thing they see it’s very possible. 

And as I was discussing with another blogger, I have a placeholder name for my book of Fairyland. Placeholders are really the most obvious and unimaginative names ever!  

Another option I’m thinking of at the moment is Aer Auri. I was using Auri as my series title. (Auri as in aurum as in the latin for gold like AU. They are not quite the rules but thereabouts)

Any thoughts?

 

Naming

I’m on a roll this morning writing, when I’m pulled short. I would have stopped soon anyway, because of work and all that, but this was more abrupt. I’m stuck naming a new character I’ve just introduced.

The one thing I’ve found very difficult is naming my characters. I’m writing a fantasy story, so I’m using made up names. It’s the making up bit that’s hard. I’ve played many computer games in my time where I’ve had to name the people in the game so I’m fine with real world names.

When I very first started writing my fairies, I used plant-like names. I’m glad I’ve changed since, because I’ve been reading other fairy books, and they all use flowers etc. I then decided to go back to what my 10 year old self came up with, and used that idea for naming them.

(I should add that what I’m writing now, has it’s roots in a story I tried to write when I was a child. Back then I’d created the characters, but couldn’t formulate the story.)

So when I decided I didn’t like the plant-like names, I used initials as stand-ins. It took me until I was about halfway to find names that stuck. 

But now as more characters are introduced I need to make up new ones.

Such is the struggle of writing!